Sunday, January 6, 2013

Top albums of 2012.

I did not post in 2012. I apologize. I had a lot on my plate, ok? I graduated. I started my career. I changed cities. I bought a flannel shirt. Get off me.  

Oddly enough, this year I had more blog-worthy material than ever, as I went to Coachella and Bonnaroo. And went to a bunch of shows. That just screams "Recap!!!", but it wasn't to be. Maybe I had better things to do. Maybe I forgot I had a blog. Who knows.

Anyway, this year I listened to more music than ever. Sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day combined with a subscription to Rdio (highly recommend!!) had a lot to do with that. Here are the 21 best albums of 2012.


T-20. The Carpenter - The Avett Brothers
I had to decide whether to keep this or Willie. In the end I couldn't choose. Skip "Paul Newman vs. The Demons" if you're an old school Avett fan.

T-20. Heroes - Willie Nelson
An interesting collection, including covers of Pearl Jam's "Breathe" and Coldplay's "The Scientist". Also, "Roll me up and smoke me when I die" is a lyric.

19. R.A.P. Music - Killer Mike
Killer Mike goes pretty hard in the MF'in paint on "Reagan".

18. Lost Songs - ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
A shorter, but better album than last years Tao of the Dead. These Austinites are best when they aren't trying so hard to be prog.

17. Shields - Grizzly Bear
I can't really articulate why I like Grizzly Bear. Maybe this flannel shirt?

16. Walk The Moon - Walk The Moon
Very enjoyable and fun to listen to. "Anna Sun" is getting a lot of radio love on Dallas alternative stations, and for good reason.

15. Gossamer - Passion Pit
"Hideaway" is one of my favorite Passion Pit tracks. I want to know what synth they use for that signature "Passion Pit" sound.

14. Born and Raised - John Mayer
Funny story: I have this friend named Robert who loves John Mayer. He plays guitar and was really into blues for the past few years. This album came out and all of sudden he was into country. Hmm...

13. Black Radio - Robert Glasper
Glasper is known for his jazz trio albums, and on this he fills it out with guest vocalists, rappers, and horns.  Funky and groovy and very listenable for all kinds of jazz fans (and the rest of the world).

12. Beacon - Two Door Cinema Club
Saw this band at Bonnaroo and they were incredible. This album is very well done.

11. An Awesome Wave - ∆ (Alt-J)
"Tesselate" and "Ms" are names of tracks. British people, amirite??

10. Bloom - Beach House
Wikipedia says Beach House is "dream pop", which is an adequate label. 

9. Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors - Big Boi
Definitely a step up from Sir Lucious Left Foot, which was really good. The way Big Boi merges genres without sounding kitschy is, how should I say this... dope.

8. Lonesome Dreams - Lord Huron
Mumford & Sons is god awful now, so I'm officially passing the indie folk torch to Lord Huron. Obviously they aren't a whole lot like Mumford & Sons, but in the end I think we're all better for it. Listen to "Ends of the Earth" and "Brother".

7. The Only Place - Best Coast
It's odd that an album ostensibly about how awesome California is can also reach a pretty deep place emotionally. Her voice is haunting, and the guitar work is pristine.

6. Celebration Rock - Japandroids
Pitchfork really hyped them up, so I was skeptical. Because you should always be skeptical of Pitchfork.  Turns out Pitchfork was right. I classify Japandroids as neo-garage punk and although they have tragically Canadian sensibilities I really dig this album.  Saw them in Dallas a few months ago and they really bring it.

5. Oshin - DIIV
DIIV is a band in the mold of Real Estate, but they aren't as dreamy and there are few lyrics. Most of the album is instrumental.  

4. Channel ORANGE - Frank Ocean
Not much I can say about Frank Ocean.  His sound is incredible. His passion is undeniable.

3. good kid, m.A.A.d city - Kendrick Lamar
I saw Kendrick Lamar at Coachella, and, to be honest, I was not expecting his album to be this good. It's an unreal blend of East and West, 90s and 00s, smooth and choppy, with a hood opera story tying it all together. This album is a triumph for hip hop. 

2. Departure Songs - Hammock
A journey that can't really be described until you listen to it.  Set aside two hours and just listen. Allow yourself to be completely swept away.

1. Give Us Rest Or (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys]) - David Crowder*Band
Follow along with this article when you listen to the album.  See how they took parts of each section of the liturgy and crafted a song around it.  It's brilliant.  This album is the best piece of music to ever be written about Jesus. Ever. And that's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment